Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Poetry Month Programs

I know this is a little late, but I wanted to share all the fun programs I've done this month at my libraries that celebrate National Poetry Month.

It's Raining Cats & Dogs Story Time
This program is for preschoolers and early elementary school age children. Everything I read was poetry about cats and dogs.

Teen Book Spine Poetry Program
I don't think I need to introduce this idea, but I had great fun with it. I also did a tween program, Edible Crafts & Book Spine Poetry, this month.

Poetry Outreach Story Time
Every month, I visit a local elementary school where I read to students in Pre-K, kindergarten, 1st, and 2nd grades. I have one agenda for Pre-K and Kindergarten and another for 1st and 2nd graders. I shared animal poems with Pre-K and Kindergarten. I shared riddle poems with the 1st and 2nd graders.

Poetry Introduction
Each month, 1st-3rd graders from a small private school visit the library for "library lessons" as their school doesn't have library. We talked about poetry, they played poetry tag (thanks, Sylvia Vardell!), and learned how to write an acrostic poem using their names.

I hope everyone enjoys my ideas. Only 5 more days left in 2012's National Poetry Month!

No comments: