Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Dancing Pancake by Eileen Spinelli

Bindi's life is changing and not for the better if you ask her. Her dad has left. She thought to look for work, but no. Bindi's mom finally admits they have separated. Aunt Darnell loses her job and wants to open her own restaurant. The Dancing Pancake becomes a reality, but Bindi isn't sure if she likes this new direction her life is taking.

What I thought: I loved it! The Dancing Pancake touched on some many pertinent issues for today's kids without being depressing or sad. This is the type of verse novel I really like--titled poems function like small chapters. Bindi and crew (family, friends, etc.) were wonderful characters. I really liked Joanne's illustrations. They added quite a bit of humor to the story. They remind me of Louis Darling and Alan Tiegreen's illustrations of Beverly Cleary's Ramona books. My favorite poems are "Reading Chair," "House Mouse," "Miss Mole," "Another Hope Gone," and "Being a Pancake." Bindi's love of literature was great. It would be interesting to read all the books she mentions.

(Illus. Joanne Lew-Vriethuff. Knopf, 2010)

No comments: